+ Reply to Thread

Default Acetate versus acetone

Hi Mark,

I would like to know if can can tell me about the differences between acetate versus acetone. I have a varnish that has propyl acetate in it (a bottled varnish, not a spray). In your book you mention that cellulose laquers are dissolved in solvents such as acetone. In another book I own it is written that acetate is the solvent used in cellulose laquers. I am curious about the differences.

Default acetate vs acetone

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Hi Mark,

I would like to know if can can tell me about the differences between acetate versus acetone. I have a varnish that has propyl acetate in it (a bottled varnish, not a spray). In your book you mention that cellulose laquers are dissolved in solvents such as acetone. In another book I own it is written that acetate is the solvent used in cellulose laquers. I am curious about the differences.
    Natasha,

Acetate is a large group of materials derived from cellulose. Propyl acetate is a toxic solvent. To see its MSDS, go to this site: <http://msds.ehs.cornell.edu/msds/msdsdod/a495/m247405.htm#Section1>

Acetone is less toxic and more common, but still toxic. For its MSDS, see this site:
    <http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSAcetone.html>

I would be careful using the solvents and products containing them.
    The AMIEN Staff

Default Acetone as a general purpose solvent

Hello AMIEN,

Does acetone work as a general purpose solvent? Acetone is a common, household material (especially if fingernail polish wearers reside therein) and my bottle states 100 percent acetone on the front label and the list of ingredients reads: acetone, limonene, and denatonium benzoate. Is acetone healthy for oil, oil/alkyd and oleoresins? Mayer includes it in one of his glaze formulas and further mentions it as a component for instantly drying brushes while applying glaze medium. Any thoughts?

Default Acetone as a general purpose solvent

Quote Originally Posted by ottobooboo@yahoo.com View Post
    Hello AMIEN,

Does acetone work as a general purpose solvent? Acetone is a common, household material (especially if fingernail polish wearers reside therein) and my bottle states 100 percent acetone on the front label and the list of ingredients reads: acetone, limonene, and denatonium benzoate. Is acetone healthy for oil, oil/alkyd and oleoresins? Mayer includes it in one of his glaze formulas and further mentions it as a component for instantly drying brushes while applying glaze medium. Any thoughts?
    ottobooboo,

Did you read the warning label on the bottle of fingernail polish remover? You notice that you can't buy a quart of fingernail polish remover, but only those little bottles?

Acetone's vapors are a serious health hazard: we can't recommend its use by the average artist. Not only that, it's such a strong solvent that it will dissolve and weaken even dried oil paints. It will dissolve a lot of things we don't want to dissolve. Not for us!
    The AMIEN Staff

AMIEN,

Thank you for the perspective you've offered.

Default More on acetone

Quote Originally Posted by ottobooboo@yahoo.com View Post
    AMIEN,

Thank you for the perspective you've offered.
    ottobooboo,

You're welcome.
    The AMIEN Staff