+ Reply to Thread

Default using gold leaf over oil paint

Hi,
    I would love to know if I can lay gold leaf over parts of my oil paintings. I have read you need to wait until the paint is completely dry ( 3-6 months?)
    What do you think?
    Also, do I need to seal the gold leaf separately or can I simply varnish the entire painting at once?
    Thank you!

Hannah

Default Using gold leaf over oil paint

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Hi,
    I would love to know if I can lay gold leaf over parts of my oil paintings. I have read you need to wait until the paint is completely dry ( 3-6 months?)
    What do you think?
    Also, do I need to seal the gold leaf separately or can I simply varnish the entire painting at once?
    Thank you!

Hannah
    Hannah,

Welcome to AMIEN.

Ordinarily, gold leaf needs a hard, moist, and sticky surface to take well. A bole (dried hard) is sized with a water-soluble glue and the glue is allowed to dry. The glue is warmed and moistened with your breath and then the leaf is applied, and all is allowed to dry again. The excess leaf is brushed off (collected) and the leaf is polished with a hard agate.

You can try applying the leaf on dried oil paint but you are not going to get anywhere near the appearance you get when it's applied in the traditional way -- the oil paint will not be as hard as the bole, by a long shot -- and there is no way for us to know what yours is going to look like.

You could put a varnish coating on the whole painting at once ...
    The AMIEN Staff

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try it anyway once the paint is completely dry and let you know. Fingers crossed.. !!