+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I remove and transfer a wall mural to a different backing?

Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me solve a problem or at least point me to someone else that could.

I hand painted a wall mural on my grandson's wall 2 years ago. It's approximately 6 ft wide and 4 ft tall. I painted it directly over the wall paint with latex wall paint and some acrylic for details. At the time they were planning on living in the house for a long time and now they are moving. We are trying to figure out how to remove the mural intact and put it on another backing so they can take it with them. It is not feasible to take the wall itself. Do you have any ideas about how we can make that transfer? Or do you know anyone who would know?

My first thought was to put some kind of clear medium on the paint surface and bind something to the medium that could be removed from the face once it was glued on a canvas backing after it was removed. I have no idea what to use that would be strong enough to pull the mural part off the wall or that wouldn't stick to the surface after it was transferred to the canvas backing.

If you have any ideas, I would welcome them.

Thanks,
    Cate
    Last edited by Catelj9; 05-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Default How do I remove and transfer a wall mural to a different backing?

Quote Originally Posted by Catelj9 View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me solve a problem or at least point me to someone else that could.

I hand painted a wall mural on my grandson's wall 2 years ago. It's approximately 6 ft wide and 4 ft tall. I painted it directly over the wall paint with latex wall paint and some acrylic for details. At the time they were planning on living in the house for a long time and now they are moving. We are trying to figure out how to remove the mural intact and put it on another backing so they can take it with them. It is not feasible to take the wall itself. Do you have any ideas about how we can make that transfer? Or do you know anyone who would know?

My first thought was to put some kind of clear medium on the paint surface and bind something to the medium that could be removed from the face once it was glued on a canvas backing after it was removed. I have no idea what to use that would be strong enough to pull the mural part off the wall or that wouldn't stick to the surface after it was transferred to the canvas backing.

If you have any ideas, I would welcome them.

Thanks,
    Cate
    Catelj9,

Welcome to AMIEN.

What you propose to do is a complicated procedure -- even if it is done in pieces -- and we would not attempt to describe the process here. Even for conservators, transferring a mural made with these kinds of materials and under such circumstances would be difficult.

We don't know where you or your children live, but we would go to the nearest big city museum and get referral to a bona fide paintings conservator with whom you can consult. The American Institute for Conservation also offers a "Connect with a professional" section at their website: http://www.conservation-us.org/
    The AMIEN Staff

i had a similar issue a number of years ago. the client decided to remodel and that "forever" mural painted right onto the sheetrock had to be moved or destroyed.
    the contractor cut the entire wall out with a sawsall, studs and all, carefully moved and stored it, then 14 months later mounted the mural wall into another spot built specially to hold it. a lot of touch up and repainting was required. i would quite rather have started over.

another suggestion in this digital age is to have the mural photographed by a good digital photographer and have a high-res print made at full scale on some kind of canvas.

Default More on how do I remove and transfer a wall mural to a different backing?

Quote Originally Posted by lynne View Post
    i had a similar issue a number of years ago. the client decided to remodel and that "forever" mural painted right onto the sheetrock had to be moved or destroyed.
    the contractor cut the entire wall out with a sawsall, studs and all, carefully moved and stored it, then 14 months later mounted the mural wall into another spot built specially to hold it. a lot of touch up and repainting was required. i would quite rather have started over.

another suggestion in this digital age is to have the mural photographed by a good digital photographer and have a high-res print made at full scale on some kind of canvas.
    lynne,

A lot of work!

Someone else also suggested the high-res photo print on canvas, then coated. Mounting it on a new wall will present a challenge but one that can be overcome with skill. We'd suggest using a well-trained wall paper hanging crew.
    The AMIEN Staff