+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default premixed munsell gray paints

I've looked at the forum posts a bit to find out about this, but so far no luck.

Does any paint company make the neutral grays for the munsell gray scale in oils? I do know that Golden makes them in acrylic, but I wanted to experiment with them and I don't paint in acrylic, just in oil and tempera.

I know that it is possible to make my own, but without the munsell printed color charts it's impossible to get the grays exact. And I'm just a bit too thrifty to put out the funds for the munsell books, at least at this point.

Default Premixed Munsell gray paints

Quote Originally Posted by elizaveta View Post
    I've looked at the forum posts a bit to find out about this, but so far no luck.

Does any paint company make the neutral grays for the munsell gray scale in oils? I do know that Golden makes them in acrylic, but I wanted to experiment with them and I don't paint in acrylic, just in oil and tempera.

I know that it is possible to make my own, but without the munsell printed color charts it's impossible to get the grays exact. And I'm just a bit too thrifty to put out the funds for the munsell books, at least at this point.
    elizaveta,

We know of no commercially-available oil paints in the Munsell gray scale.

Compromise a bit and see if you can find the "student version" of a set of Munsell chips. They're matte instead of glossy. Also, you could check a reference library at a nearby art school, university or college that has an art department.

On the other hand, why do these grays have to be "exact"? You're an artist: What art is "exact"?
    The AMIEN Staff

elizaveta and AMIEN,

According to Gamblin, their Portland Gray Light, Medium, and Deep are available respectively in values 8, 6, and 4.

Default More on premixed Munsell gray paints

Quote Originally Posted by ottobooboo@yahoo.com View Post
    elizaveta and AMIEN,

According to Gamblin, their Portland Gray Light, Medium, and Deep are available respectively in values 8, 6, and 4.
    ottobooboo,

Well there you go, as long as you mean Munsell Values 8, 6, and 4.
    The AMIEN Staff

AMIEN,

Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AMIEN View Post
    elizaveta,

We know of no commercially-available oil paints in the Munsell gray scale.

Compromise a bit and see if you can find the "student version" of a set of Munsell chips. They're matte instead of glossy. Also, you could check a reference library at a nearby art school, university or college that has an art department.

On the other hand, why do these grays have to be "exact"? You're an artist: What art is "exact"?
    No art is exact and to be honest I have little interest in the munsell system beyond the grays. But munsell grays are neutral and since I'm interested in exploring gray underpainting under glazes I figured that the neutrality would make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ottobooboo@yahoo.com View Post
    elizaveta and AMIEN,

Thanks for the info. For some reason it never occured to me to check Gamblin.

Default Munsell Values versus Munsell Grays

Quote Originally Posted by AMIEN View Post
    ottobooboo,

Well there you go, as long as you mean Munsell Values 8, 6, and 4.
    Also, importtant to be clear that there is a difference between Munsell values and true Munsell grays, which are neutral by definition, while the values only need to match the level of reflectance but can be warm or cool. And from what I can sense, Elizaveta is looking for true neutrals.
    Sarah Sands

AMIEN Moderator
    Technical Services Supervisor
    Golden Artist Colors
    Williamsburg Handmade Oil Colors

Default Check if grays match Munsell Values or are truly neutral

Thanks for the info. For some reason it never occured to me to check Gamblin.
    See my earlier note - there is a critical distinction between Munsell Values and Munsell Grays. I am not sure if the Gamblin's Portland Grays are calibrated in that way - if so, then you should be set. If for whatever reason they are not, and you simply need a reference point, you can request a handpainted color chart of the Golden Acrylics Neutral Grays, which we do check with a spectrophotometer, and those can at least act as a rough guide for your own mixtures.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Sarah Sands; 11-05-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    Sarah Sands

AMIEN Moderator
    Technical Services Supervisor
    Golden Artist Colors
    Williamsburg Handmade Oil Colors

Default Exact art and the Munsell Color Order system

No art is exact and to be honest I have little interest in the munsell system beyond the grays. But munsell grays are neutral and since I'm interested in exploring gray underpainting under glazes I figured that the neutrality would make things easier.
    elizaveta,

We don't want to get into matters of artistic style but art history proves over and over that art is not exact, nor easy.

We think if you did develop an interest in at least understanding Munsell Color Order and Notation you'd go a long way towards understanding color mixing. We also agree with Sarah Sands in that you ought to check with Gamblin to be sure that their grays have no bias towards "warm" or "cool," let alone any hues.
    The AMIEN Staff