+ Reply to Thread

Default Detailed charcoal drawing with oil glaze?

Hello everyone!

I am new here and have been making artwork for only a few years, so please bear with me.

I do very detailed dry pastel/charcoal drawings on paper, which I (sometimes) spray w/a fixative, and then mat and frame under a glass frame.
    I got into oil painting lately and am thrilled and inspired by linseed oil glazes.

I was thinking of possibly combining an intricate dry pastel/charcoal drawings on canvas, instead of paper ( would this work? do you have any information on this??), with an oil glaze over it.
    I understand that dry material is hard to mix w/oil and will smudge if I apply anything with a brush over a dry medium drawing..so any ideas?

I thought, if I spray enough fixative, a few layers over a few days..maybe the dry powder will be more resilient?
    Also..I would be willing to experment w/acrylic glazes, if you think that this would work better?

This glazes, I thought, could also eliminate the need for a glass frame..

Do you think this is attainable? Any thoughts on longevity and reaction of materials? Any similar possibilities and/or ideas?

I guess, I'll just need to experiment, but was wondering if anyone has tried this.
    I know I am trying to defeat some laws of physics, but I am just so excited about this possibility!

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

~Biljana
    Last edited by Biljana33; 04-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Default Detailed charcoal drawing with oil glaze?

Quote Originally Posted by Biljana33 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am new here and have been making artwork for only a few years, so please bear with me.

I do very detailed dry pastel/charcoal drawings on paper, which I (sometimes) spray w/a fixative, and then mat and frame under a glass frame.
    I got into oil painting lately and am thrilled and inspired by linseed oil glazes.

I was thinking of possibly combining an intricate dry pastel/charcoal drawings on canvas, instead of paper ( would this work? do you have any information on this??), with an oil glaze over it.
    I understand that dry material is hard to mix w/oil and will smudge if I apply anything with a brush over a dry medium drawing..so any ideas?

I thought, if I spray enough fixative, a few layers over a few days..maybe the dry powder will be more resilient?
    Also..I would be willing to experment w/acrylic glazes, if you think that this would work better?

This glazes, I thought, could also eliminate the need for a glass frame..

Do you think this is attainable? Any thoughts on longevity and reaction of materials? Any similar possibilities and/or ideas?

I guess, I'll just need to experiment, but was wondering if anyone has tried this.
    I know I am trying to defeat some laws of physics, but I am just so excited about this possibility!

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

~Biljana
    Biljana33,

Welcome to AMIEN.

We think all the materials are compatible, but that you will not be able to apply a liquid over a powder without ruining the drawing ... and that spraying on enough fixative to prevent smudging will change the pastel/charcoal drawing too much: It will end up looking like a painting in liquid paint.

Have you thought about working the pastel/charcoal into a wet paint surface? Or a dry paint surface? Yes, experimenting is good, and so far you needn't worry about the compatibility of the materials.

We hope this helps.
    The AMIEN Staff

Thanks for your reply; your help is much appreciated! This is such an awesome web site!

~ Biljana

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biljana33 View Post
    Thanks for your reply; your help is much appreciated! This is such an awesome web site!

~ Biljana
    Biljana33,

You're very welcome, and we're happy to know you like AMIEN.
    The AMIEN Staff